2014...The Year of Immersion.

As a new year has dawned, I have thus far resisted the urge to commit to any resolutions.  In fact, if the truth be known, I'm terrible at that!  Even so, here I am at least making a partial attempt at resolving to do something worthwhile in 2014.  My resolution, on a personal level, is to read all the books on my bookshelf!  Sounds simple enough, huh?  Well, if you're like me, I like to purchase a new book from time to time, read a bit of it, and then put it on the shelf for a later time.  The problem is that the later time never seems to arrive, thus the book is retired to the shelf of unfinished business.

In my feeble attempt at being creative, I have decided to call 2014 "The Year of Immersion."  Sounds catchy doesn't it?  The Year of Immersion, for me, will be an immersion into books that involve spiritual matters, particularly those of the Christian faith, and even more specifically, the Bible.  Though all of this sounds great, what you don't know is that I have a multitude of "partially-read" books in my bookcase, and without a resolute commitment, this task will be insurmountable.  So for those of you out there that are prayer warriors, please pray for me as you remember to do so.

My plan to accomplish this goal is somewhat multifaceted and I've tried to break it down into three major reading times:  morning, evening, and weekend.  During the morning time, I plan to make an effort to read at least one chapter (small books) along with my Bible reading plan.  The evening time will be the same, except with a different book.  Finally, the weekend will offer me a chance to have a deeper, more meaningful immersion into bible study at my church and during Sunday afternoon's men's bible study.  I will also attempt to read a third book on the weekends only.

In closing, I'm not one to set goals or make resolutions without a purpose...I don't do it just to be doing it.  My plans, I believe, are scriptural.  In Romans 12:2 we are instructed this way:  "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."  So there's my so-called New Year's Resolution.  What's yours?


Comments

Popular Posts