A God of Miracles!

When did you last consider God's wonderful works?  Outside of our church home/group, do we even expect God to do miraculous things anymore?

In addition to my daily devotions through Proverbs, I have been pondering a couple of verses in Genesis.  The verses are profound and have really challenged me over the past few days.  In Genesis 6:5-6 we read:  "The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.  And the Lord was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart."  Though scripture goes on to describe that Noah found favor with God because he was a "righteous man, blameless in his generation", my primary thought process has centered on the fact that what God had created and deemed "very good", had gradually eroded (due to sin) to a point that God would be "sorry" that he had made man.

Perhaps you've never given much thought to the preceding verses, and to be truthful, until this week, I haven't either.  Say what you may, but I feel that God has pointed out a couple of things to me.  1.  With sin in our lives, destruction is inevitable if left unchecked.  We do not get better outside of a relationship with God that involves repentance and restoration.  Consider this, if you no longer feel close to God, ask yourself why.  What has happened to that relationship?  Do I/you continue seeking him with our whole heart?  Have we let worldly things take precedence over our time with him?  2.  God provides!  Remember my first few questions at the beginning of this post?  One of God's miraculous works in my life is a new birth...eternal life!  Furthermore, he continues to perform those miraculous works in the lives of countless others.  Perhaps these are not the miracles that you consider when you hear the word "miracle", but new birth is indeed a miracle!  We have been made "alive" in Christ!  If we have placed our faith in him, we have what the Scriptures refer to as a new life!  Eternal life!  That, my friend, is a miracle indeed!

I'll admit that I'm no theologian and this post isn't intended to be an exposition on scripture, rather, it is intended to get us common, everyday Christ-followers, to realize that our God is the God of the uncommon!  He still moves in the lives of his people.  He still wants to have a relationship with you/me. 

In closing, if you're dealing with the fact that you're not where you used to be as it relates to your spiritual life; perhaps you know that there is sin separating you from that relationship with God and you just feel that you've gone to far; just remember that God's word is true and his promises are everlasting!  Call out to him and ask for forgiveness.  It's not too hard for you and it certainly isn't too hard for God...nothing is impossible for God! 

Lastly, I'm reminded of some lyrics to a song that I feel sums it up quite well.  The song, another from Hillsong, is "Up in Arms", and the lyrics state:

 My joy is boundless
My soul knows it worth
In arms stretching wider
Than my heart could ever fall. 

Amen!

Comments

Popular Posts